PLANNING A PROJECT PROPERLY
Many renovation problems are a direct result of poor planning. Taking the time to plan makes a real difference in terms of its success and keeping within your budget.
1. Develop a clear description of what you want to change in your home and specific goals for your renovation project. Consider things like: Use of Space, Light and Brightness and Movement of People.
2. Define your priorities – which renovation items are “must-haves,” and which would be nice to have if your budget allows.
HIRING A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Hiring a reputable contractor can be a daunting task. Here’s some help:
1. Renovators and trade contractors who belong to the CHBA (Canadian Home Builders Association) is a solid indication that a company is well established and serious about its long-term success.
2. Contractors who also belong to RenoMark, require members to agree to, and abide by, a renovation-specific code of conduct.
3. Reputable contractors provide a warranty, as part of their written contract, as you deserve to have a proper warranty on the work done.
4. Ask for recommendations from friends, family, co-workers and neighbours who have had positive renovation experiences.